I change the stock kernel in my SuSE 6.4 this morning, and all went all right.

  Ok, Edgar, you must do the following:
  - Put the kernel sources in /usr/src.
  - tar xvfz linux-2.2.18.tar.gz. this create a "linux" folder.
  - From /usr/src/linux do make menuconfig. don't disable anything, only change your
proccesor type, enable parallel port support and PC-Style in
"General Setup" menu, enable PPP in "Network device
support", enable parallel printer support in "Character
devices" menu, give support like modules or "built in" (like you prefer) in
"FileSystem" menu and choose your sound car in "sound".
  - do make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make bzlilo, make modules and make
modules_install.
  - Delete the old files "System.map" and "vmlinuz" from
/boot directory, put the new files (you must have it in /) in /boot, Don't forget do
"lilo" from command line, and reboot.

                          Please, tell me the result.

          José Luis.

  "Memories. You're talking about memories."
  Rick Deckard. Blade Runner.