Hello!

        I'm running RH7.0 with everything from that distribution (no
addition) and I'm trying to create a new runlevel.  Well... I've
created runlevel 9 which is something like runlevel 3 but customized -
and it's working well.  Now, I try to make runlevel 8 which is about
the same thing but related to runlevel 5.  With other words I'm trying
to make it run directly into X. (I use Gnome).

        The problem is that it will say something like gdm was
"murdered" - that is the actual message.  It than retries and the same
problem (but with another pid) and so on till I hit the magic
ctrl+alt+del.  I examined the files in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and things
are okay.  The problem resides (as far as I can figgure it out) in
/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon (from /etc/inittab).  This is a script which
will choose what to run (Gnome/KDE/plain X).  At this point I'm
lost.  Why is that error message?

        I did the customization with runlevel 5 and everything went
smooth.  Am I'm missing something?  Is there a line that says "do not
run X unless runlevel 5"???

        TIA
        George