On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Rukmani Gopalan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Linux newbie and I have both Linux and Windows on my partition.
> I have a lot of resources on the internet and I don't know how I go about
> accessing the internet from Linux. I have AOL that I can access from Windows.
> So everytime I log on to windows to go to the internet and then restart my
> machine to go to Linux. How do I go aboout dialing up to the ISP to access the
> internet from Linux??? Also, when I am in Linux, my modem is not detected.
> Does Linux come with a modem driver or shoould I install one??? If so, where
> do I find it???

Considering you make no mention of what type of modem you have, then HOW can
one help you, at this stage all one can say is, if it is a so called "winmodem"
you are possably out of luck as a lot of those "so called" modems do not
(properly) work under anything other than windows.

Other than that all one can say is read the Modem-HOWTO, i cant even tell you
where to look for it on your system as you were so kind not even to have told
us which distro you are using let alone what kernel you have installed.

You will need to be more spesific,

1) type/make and model of modem
2) distro you have installed and its version number, ie, redhat-7.1
3) Which kernel, the command uname -a will tell you.
4) The details of the modem under windows, ie from its properties window.

This answer may seem negative, but considering the information supplied i can
think of no better answer.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]