If I read this right, the CD-R/W on hdd works fine, but a separate DVD
drive on hdc does not work (in SCSI-IDE emulation).

If the DVD drive is an IDE drive, you can either access it as an IDE device
-OR- add it to this "ignore" line and let the SCSI-IDE stuff pick it up.
But you can't do both.

But ... in the modules.conf file, you only have one IDE device in the
ignore line:

 > options ide-cd ignore=hdd        # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdd

You need to tell the IDE stuff to ignore the DVD drive as well (apparently
hdc from what you wrote below) if you want the SCSI-IDE modules to manage
it. (Once again, I'm not sure of the exact syntax, since Debian handles
modules a wee bit differently from the RH-descended distros.)

This is all a guess, of course, since I'm interpolating a lot to fill in
blanks. How, for example, do you now access the DVD for playback? I'm
guessing /dev/dvd symlinks to /dev/hdc, not to /dev/scd1 . If so, that's a
sure sign that you haven't moved it from IDE to SCSI-IDE.

BTW, Ken, I have IDE-CD compiled in my 2.4.17 kernel, and I can access my
CD-R/W just fine. I do need to include an append= line in lilo.conf telling
the IDE stuff to ignore hdd, so the SCSI-IDE modules can later grab it. I
don't know if Mark's use of ignore in modules.conf completely substitutes
for this, or if his method only works when ide-cd is a module.