Thanks all the people who told me what Telnet is!
In fact after the first off-list reply explaining what Telnet is, I
successfully telnetted last night.   It felt *exactly* like logging on to a
local dial-up bulletin board in the old days.   (And I logged on as 'new', as
instructed).

I'll bear in mind that it's insecure.

cr