At 08:14 AM 7/15/02 -0400, Matthew Stapleton wrote:
>How might one go about ripping a CD into OGG files?

[old stuff deleted]

The actual ripping part is the same as with MP3; you use an app that
converts the CD tracks into WAV files. The change is at the next step,
compressing the WAV files into ogg format instead of MP3.

Exactly how you do it probably depends on what is prepackaged for whichever
Linux distro you use. I use a "super-app" called abcde, which is just a
bunch of wrappers (in Perl, I believe) that runs a series of other apps to
download CD info (wget), rip to WAVs (cdparanoia), compress to MP3 (any mp3
encoder) or OGG (oggenc), create a playlist,  put the results someplace
sensible, and clean up the temporary files. Installing the Debian version
of abcde gets all the other stuff installed (thanks to a good dependency
system); YMMV on that, depending on your distro.