Hi Peter.

>>> Did a programmer change something that one has to edit now
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network a file I did not even know it existed
>>> or did I miss something when installing RH7.1?

>> I would presume that for some reason, you provided the wrong value on
>> the relevant pre-iinstall screen, but it is almost impossible to work
>> out which screen was affected in this way.

> Since I have installed RH many times of different versions, even at
> friends' placex it is almost routine.

I've installed various versions of RHL several hundred times now, and
like you, I've long since developed a routine for doing so. However, on
occasion, I still make stupid mistakes when installing - I set one of my
own systems up with a 168.192.* IP address rather than the 192.168.* one
it should've had, and that was only yesterday !!!

> I have a strong suspicion that the problem is with RH7.1. I did the
> installation twice and was surprised to be called localhost instead
> of Peter and on booting getting that long message on starting lpd.

That is always possible. As it happens, I've only installed 7.1 once in
my career, although I installed both 7.0 and 7.2 several dozen times. As
a result, I probably would not have noticed a problem with 7.1 whereas
problems with either 7.0 or 7.2 would've stood out like a sore thumb.

The important detail is that you now have a system that works...

Best wishes from Riley.