On Sunday 25 August 2002 03:05, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> Selected responses only, below.

> Before I set up ide-scsi here, my CD burner worked just fine as a reader in
> ide mode.

That's exactly what I'd expect to be able to do.

In fact,as I recall it, when I replaced my old 6x CD-ROM (IDE) drive with my
LG cd-writer  (also IDE), I don't think the system even 'noticed' the
change....   it all worked exactly as before.

I think I'll try to work back to the original IDE CD-ROM setup, and see how I
go from there.

[.....]

> >Is this going to happen *every* time I upgrade?   8(
>
> Probably. You'll need to make notes about how you set this up and redo it
> with every full-level (not incremental) upgrade. (Or you could switch to a
> distro that does upgrades more gently, as Debian does ... but I digress.)

Umm OK, this time I *will* take notes.   :)

> [...]
>
> >As a related question, is there anywhere on the Internet a page that
> > explains (in simple language) what the boot-up sequence of Linux is (and
> > XFree86 for that matter) and what files get read in what order?   Man
> > pages are always much too detailed and limited in scope to be easy to
> > follow.
>
> You probably want to know about the init sequence, not the boot-up
> sequence. Booting just involves getting the kernel running and starting the
> init process. The init process (normally, and we can easily neglect the
> exceptions for the moment) is governed by the directives in /etc/inittab.
> Typically, these directives involve a three-step init process:
>
>          1. Init into single-user more and run a script. On my systems, and
> pretty much every Linux system I've ever sern, this is a script called rcS.
> Its location varies a bit; on my systems, the coverning line reads
> "si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS". This script in turn runs other scripts; if
> you understand shell scripting, you can follow the sequence by reading the
> scripts.
>
>          2. Init into normal multi-user mode (governed by a runlevel
> specification). This works the same way as step 1, except init runs a
> different script, again as specified in inittab for the default or chosen
> runlevel. On my systems, it is a line like "l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2" --
> which says run the script /etc/init.d/rc and pass to it the argument "2".
>
>          3. Run other processes specified for the chosen or default
> runlevel. Typically these are just the tty processes that allow for console
> logins (look for lines like "1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1"), but
> some distros use this step to run an X-based login process like xdm or to
> run consoles on serial ports.

Thanks!   I'll file this and print out a copy for reference.

> I'm not sure if there is a general turorial on the boot/init process, but
> were I looking for one, I'd look through the HowTos at (for example)
> www.linuxdoc.org .

I don't recall seeing one, but I'll check again.

cr