See below.

At 03:08 PM 8/26/02 +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
>Hi there.
>
>We're talking about a Red Hat 7.3 system here, but the question is
>probably equally relevant both to earlier Red Hat systems and to
>other distributions as well. We are also NOT talking about X-Windows
>but about the virtual text consoles.
>
>When one is booting into Linux, one can specify "vga=1" on the kernel
>command line to specify that one wishes to have an 80x50 text screen.
>How does one specify this after Linux has finished booting?
>
>The reason I ask is that although it's specified on the command line,
>something during the init process switches it back to 80x25 lines. I'd
>prefer to have it in 80x50 mode on this computer though.

Hmmm ... "something"?

Richard said more about the framebuffer than I know, but that is, I think,
not what you are asking about. The man page for lilo.conf includes this bit
(about the vga= parameter)--

               If this variable is omitted, the VGA  mode  setting
               contained in the kernel image is used. (And that is
               set at compile time using the SVGA_MODE variable in
               the  kernel Makefile, and can later be changed with
               the rdev(8) program.)

 From the man page for rdev, it *appears* that it can change the SVGA
setting while Linux is running if invoked as vidmode. Take a look and see
if this is what you are looking for (I didn't test it here). You might also
check if one of RH's init scripts is executing a vidmode command ... it is
certainly a candidate for your mysterious "something".