At 09:31 AM 8/30/02 +0530, Natarajan K wrote:
>HI,
>         I am part of a LAN and get my IP through DHCP. Will eth0
> interface be put in
>promiscuous mode initially or is there any option I should use to put it in
>promiscuous mode? I use Mandrake 8.2.

Huh? You don't need your interface in promiscuous mode. Your system sends
out a broadcast packet to request a DHCP lease, and the DHCP server
responds with a lease offer using the MAC address of your host. You do need
to run a DHCP client on your system ... dhcpcd, or dhclient, or pump (not
sure that Mandrake uses) ... to request the lease.