At 10:40 AM 9/13/02 +0800, Peter wrote:
>[...]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> > As to the packages (what you call "programs")
>
>That's what we called them before the PCs were around, ;-).

Not really. At least I didn't, either then or now.

I was attempting to distinguish an actual program, such as sshd (that is,
either an executable binary or source code that can be either compiled or
interpreted), from a package that contained that program, maybe an
associated init script, a man page and other documentation, possibly sample
config files, and whatever else the packager thought worth including(or the
packaging system requires).

The distinction was meaningful back in mainframe days, and it remains
meaningful today. Packages often contain programs, but they are not the
same thing as programs.

In the context of troubleshooting your problem, drawing the distinction was
cogent, since the problem was that you were mistaken about which package
actually contained the program you wanted to run.