At 01:53 PM 9/18/02 -0400, Paul Kraus wrote:
>For my install (redhat 7.3)
>3 Full multi-user mode - I would assume this is the run level where
>everything can run.
>
>However my system boots to
>5 X11 - I assume this is for X-windows. Does that mean the 3 can't run
>xwindows? Or that in 5 there is extra over head if you are barely using
>x-windows?

In a technical senes, runlevels are arbitrary designations, used by init
(by way of its config file, /etc/inittab) to run different setups easily.
By custom, runlevel 3 is the standard multi-user, command-line runlevel.
Similarly, but again only as a custom, runlevel 5 is the native-X runlevel
(it starts xdm or an equivalent X-based login manager).

You can easily run X from runlevel 3. Log in to a console with the userid
you want X to run under, and run the program "startx". If your system was
set up properly, this will start an X server on the first available tty
(usually tty7 on  typical runlevel-3 setups).

As to overhead on runlevel 5 ... well, running X does use some system
resources, as does running xdm or an equivalent. In that sense, there is
"extra" overhead.

PS - Paul, on Linux lists, .vcf attachments are generally viewed as useless
clutter.

PPS - These sorts of basic questions can often be answered by consulting
FAQs, man pages, or HowTos.