Hello. I have an old machine I use mostly for email and light duty
browsing - nothing fancy. It is a P 75 with 32 MB RAM 1 MB (forgot which)
PCI video card and < 1 GB HD. I have an old AOC B&W monitor hooked up to
it.

I had RH 6.2 on there, but was not very happy with it. I was running fvwm
for the desktop. A little bit less than standard install took up about 90%
of the 600 MB HD space. There was a chat prog I ran alot (AIM for Linux)
that was causing me grief, and I wanted to replace it with GAIM. But I
needed an updated install of RPM to install any newer version of GAIM. So,
when push came to shove, I decided I should try some other distro, one
more geared toward a "survpc" like this one. Thought about Slackware, but
decided to go with Debian, which I've never used before but have heard
good reports on visa vis survpc's.

I stuck in a second drive which I made master of the primary and did the
install of Debian 2.25 (Potato? - sorry if I'm making a mistake on the
release #: I don't have the disk here at home so am reciting from memory).
It went fairly uneventfully until I got to configuration of X. Probably I
entered in the wrong vertical sync rate (I selected 50-70, unfortunately.
I really have no idea of the refresh rates of this monitor, but I had a
feeling that a 50-70 rate was going to be too narrow). I am now stuck at
the X configuration stage of the install. I think Debian is preparing to
go to VGA mode in order to do the config. It fails with the error
"X11TransocketUNIXConnect : can't connect : errno 111" - and spits out
that message about 8 times. Then it goes back to the same point in the
install where I am asked to configure X. So I'm sort of stuck in a
vicious circle.

So, for you Debian users: how do I deal with this? Is there a way I can
complete the install, by going back in the process, for example, and
reselecting refresh rates? It obviously wants to create an XF86Config file.
Do I have to just abandon the install and start all over again?

Also: anyone with tips for configuring X for monochrome, please feel free
to chip in as well.

Thanks, James