At 04:03 PM 10/10/02 -0400, Paul Kraus wrote:
>I think you are seeing this backwards. I want to create the image of a
>hard drive that is on the network to my linux box.
>
>Sample
>
>Micro$oft Machine  -   Redhat Machine
>
>Create an image of the Microsoft machines "c" drive and store that image
>on the redhat machine.

Paul -- You need to clarify this still a bit more.

1. "Drive" is ambiguous. In the Linux world, a "drive" is a physical device
(e.g., IDE primary, accessed as /dev/hda). A drive contains partitions that
in turn contain filesystems. Windows people seem to use "drive" to refer
both to a physical device and to a filesystem in a partition on a drive. In
Linux/Unix terminology, your example -- "Microsoft machines "c" drive" --
probably refers to creating an image of a *filesystem*, not a *drive*. Is
that what you really mean?

2. I assume you want to run something on the Linux server that does this
job. So ... how is the filesystem visible to Linux on the server? It is an
NFS mount? An SMB mount? Something else?

3. With boot drives, there are special considerations, involving the boot
sector and possibly some files that need to be in known locations (this is
true for LILO, at least; I'm not expert enough in Windows to know what
might matter there). Does this backup-to-image solution need to address any
restrictions that are, in this sense, outside the structure of the filesystem?

4. How much flexibility does the corresponding restore function need? Does
it need only to restore to the same physical drive (or another that is
physically identical), or do you want to be able to put a copy of the
filesystem on a another drive with different geometry (and perhaps even a
different partition structure)?

A general suggestion ... coming from a Windows background, you may assume
that Windows is s good starting reference point for capabilities. This
isn't true for all of us here; though I use Windows on my desktop, there
are many things I know how to do with Linux that I can't begin to guess how
to do with Windows. So, in this case, your reference to "ghost" does not
help me understand your needs. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with this
particular combination of knowledge and ignorance ... you might get better

Since I don't know how ghost works, let me ask this ... would a solution be
to run ghost on the Windows host, them simply transfer (in any of the usual
ways) the image it creates to the Linux server?