On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Alan Womack wrote:

> OK, made a loop back cable.  Works great on the windows box, fast and accurate.
>
> On the linux box it's INCREDIBLY slow, makes 300 baud look blazing.  Take like 2
>hours to print the whole dmesg:
>
> cat dmesg (I have it saved to a file) >/dev/ttyS01
>
> on second terminal
>
> od -v /dev/ttyS01
>
> nothing is dropped, but it is SLOW SLOW SLOW

HUH?  Are you reading it back from the same port you wrote it to?
What does that have to do with the cable?  You can set a serial port to
echo the input, but it just seems odd.

One other thing:  if you connect 2 serial ports, and write to one at one
speed and read from the other at a different speed, you will get either
_Nothing_ or garbage.  You can see or set the speed with
stty -F <device>
but the app can and probably will change it when it opens the port.

Lawson
---oops---