Chuck,
Most of the window managers have web sites where you can get sources and
info. You might find that useful when trying to decide which one you
like best.

Mozilla is actually Netscape 6 (for practical purposes, anyhow). AFAIK,
Netscape is (or at least was) based on the same code right back in the
beginning.

Gnome and KDE _aren't_ window managers. They are, well, basically a nice
pretty front end that interacts with the window manager. They each work
slightly better with some window managers than others. For instance,
Gnome works (or at least Gnome 1.4 works) really well with Sawfish, and
if you install a default Red Hat 7.x distribution, you get XFree86,
Sawfish and Gnome. If you install a different distribution, you'll
probably get a different combination (KDE on top of Enlightenment on top
of XFree86, for example).

This modular approach is a little confusing some times, but it has the
nice advantage that you can choose the feature you want from the
behaviour of your windows (such as the type of buttons you get and how
iconification works) and then separately decide on the type of bar
(taskbar, stat menu in windows) you want and the menus it creates for
you.

Check out www.gnome.org for gnome and www.kde.org for the desktop stuff
you can get. You can also get some window managers from them.

Incidentally, you don't _need_ a lot of the software you can get this
way - just directly configuring X will give you access to most of the
stuff. But you certainly need _some_ kind of window manager for it to be
useful.

Paul.