Can anyone recommend a good virus checker?   And maybe a hard drive test
program?

My system (RH7.2) which had 3 hard drives (1.6, 2 + 3 GB) just crashed in a
messy sort of way - I'd try starting and it would tell me that /usr was bad
and drop me to a command prompt.    Using fsck would show large numbers of
'short reads' and a few other things that it would apparently fix, but on
starting again /usr was still bad and fsck would show more, different short
reads.   My conclusion: either a very nasty virus or the drive with /usr on
(and I can't remember which one that was!) is dying.

I'm now running on a 'new' (spare) 2GB drive with an all-new install, I'd
like to salvage some data off the old ones, but not without virus-checking
them I think.

One weird thing - on startup it just shows 'GRUB' on the screen and does
nothing more, I have to boot it off the floppy.   Not a problem, I'll make a
backup floppy  ;-)

cr