I'm having trouble reading my CD-ROM (actually a LG(Goldstar) 8080 cd-writer)
drive.

It's not a hardware problem, and it worked in previous RH versions.  (It also
installed my current RH 7.2 system quite happily).

My /etc/fstab reads
/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom    iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

But, even su root, trying to mount it with (from memory):
mount  /dev/hdb  /mnt/cdrom
gave (from memory)   'unknown block device'.

Trying X-cd-roast told me that ide-scsi was missing.

Trying   insmod sg    told me that  sg  was already installed, and
'insmod  ide-scsi'   successfully loaded  ide-scsi, after which X-cd-roast
now reads a CD   OK (and presumably, would write).

However, I *still* can't mount or read a CD-rom in the normal way, from the
command line.

This is what happens:
[root@localhost /]# mount -t iso9660  /dev/hdb  /mnt/cdrom
"mount: bad fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb, or too many
mounted file systems
(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use ide-scsi so that sr0 or
sda or so is needed?)"

[root@localhost /]# mount  -t iso9660  /dev/scsi0  /mnt/cdrom
"mount: special device  /dev/scsi0 does not exist"

- and the same result for sda, sr0, and so  when I try it, except that
/dev/sda  gives 'unknown device' instead.

If I try this:
[root@localhost /]# mount  /dev/hdb  /mnt/cdrom
I get:
"dev/hdb: success
mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

But when I cd into  /mnt/cdrom, there are still no files visible...

So it doesn't want to know me, either as a IDE or a SCSI drive.
dmesg shows it correctly:
"hdb: LG CD-RW CED-8080B, ATAPI  CD/DVD-ROM drive
Type: CD-ROM      ANSI SCSI Revision: 02"

I've tried reading the CDROM  HOWTO, but I can't see anything there that
explains the problem.   Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next?

Chris Rodliffe