On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Haines Brown wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Here I sit, almost dead in the water. Confident that I could run emacs
> at the command prompt outside X (I'm writing now with emacs-rmail, but
> have lost X altogether), I went ahead and installed the two rpm files
> and edited my XF86Config-4 file. The result was loss of access to my X
> server. I  tried but failed to back out of the driver installation
> by reverting to the old config file with its nv driver.
>
> RPM Installation suggested a possibly conflicting MESA or stale nVidia
> distribution, but I have neither. libglx.a, etc., files renamed to
> xxx...rpmSAVE. I  don't know whether a recovery of my old set up would
> require renaming those file to their original names as well as
> reverting to the old configuration file.

Possibly.  Libraries are usually backward-compatible, though.

> When I went to start X, I got errors that nvidia had failed to
> initialize the NVdriver kernel module. Indeed, running lsmod does not
> report it, although I checked with rpm to verify the driver installed
> (rpm verifies the NVIDIA_kernel version number). If I tried insmod
> nvidia (or nVidia, NVidia, NVdriver, etc.) it says driver not
> found. There's nothing that looks like an nvidia driver in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions. The /dev files are present, though.

rpm will tell you if you ask, what files are contained in a package:
rpm -ql <package name>
Sorry, I am not familiar with video drivers as kernel modules.  That
might be a feature of X release 4 that I haven't got around to yet.
kernel modules live usually in /lib/modules/`uname -r`
Hmmm, try /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
What is in /usr/X11R6/bin/X ?  That used to be a symbolic link to the X
server.