At 08:54 AM 10/30/02 -0500, Paul Kraus wrote:
I have a network of about 25 pcs and 4 servers. With moderate internet
traffic. What kind of machine do you think I would need for a firewall
only box? Ipchains or Iptables ( I have some experience with the latter
and non with Ipchains). I would also like to be able to log where
everyone is going. Such as what sites they are visiting, the time, and
the pc that is making the request. Then if we see fit I would like to
come up with a list of sites that they can visit while restricting all
others. I would like to have this list be able to be split based on the
different departments. One list for Accounts Payable one for inventory
control, ect. Thanks for info. From what I have been reading squid can
do this but squid says it's a caching server. I don't really think I
need to cache pages though.
Choice of hardware depends on how fast your Internet connection is, and how busy it is. "moderate Internet traffic" is a bit too vague here. If your external connection is DS-1 speed or lower, then even a 486-40 will be fast enough to handle routing; in practice, though, I'd use the slowest Pentium machine I had in my "spares" pile, just so I could use pci-based NICs. If you do use a proxy server, that requires a bit more muscle, but not all that much (a moderate Pentium still will handle DS-1 speeds, but you'll want more memory and scratch disk space for the caching).

For tracking connections, you have two basic options:

1. Allow direct connections to the Internet (the next option will clarify what "direct" means) and use ipchains or iptables logging to keep track of who is going where.

2. Require use of a proxy server and use its logs to keep track of who is going where.

Whether you need to cache pages, a la Squid, depends on a lot of things. Basically it is a tradeoff between local, scratch storage and load on your Internet connection, and that requires cas-by-case analysis. How many cache-able pages your users access also matters.

I am unclear on what you mean by "have this list be able to be split". Once created, either an iptables or a Squid log can be analyzed based on anything that it includes. That means you can sort (or group) by source IP address, and if sensible address ranges are associated with the different departments, that should allow you to do what you want on that score.