On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:47:08AM -0800, Mike Ni wrote:
> In addition to file system, is there any service or
> package would help the programmer to better manage the
> objects or application programming. (I know there is
> CORBA. What are out there in addition to CORBA?)

Yes. CORBA supports remote IPC and lots of different archs/languages. KDE
uses CORBA for IPC.

Another solution, might be Web Services (don't mean anything about .NET and
stuff I ever touch). Specifically, you can use SOAP and XML for remote
commnunication between application built in different architectures. I'm
sure there is a free implementation of SOAP, but I can't come with a
link right now.

'Web Services' is a fancy term, I dislike. I hope noone misunderstands
the above paragraph. :-)

Last but not least is sockets. Both Solaris and Linux support BSD sockets
(or a variant closed to the original implementation). Windows have an
implementation of sockets, too, but I am fine knowing nothing about it. :-)

I'm afraid that in the latter case you'll have to duplicate a lot of
code.

Elias

--
http://gnewtellium.sourceforge.net                      MP3 is not a crime.