I use an e-mail alias list: ~/.aliases/NARL.aliases. My individual
aliases work OK (I'm using it for this message), but I'm having
trouble using an alias list, or at least this NARL.aliases list.

I now get the error message:

   :include:/home/brownh/aliases/NARL.aliases
    (expanded from: NARL)

   550 5.2.4 :include:/home/brownh/aliases/NARL.aliases...
     Cannot open /home/brownh/aliases/NARL.aliases:
     World writable directory

I believe I know the source of the problem, but would appreciate an
explanation and a possible work-around.

User "brownh" uses rmail under emacs. However, for an OT reason,
user brownh can't log in to his own account, but must access to it via
an xterm in another account, in which is run the command su - brownh,
and then emacs.

Is this complicated procedure preventing the NARL.aliases file from
being read? I've played with permissions for it and its directory,
including any write permission at all from both directory and file,
but to no avail. I have not yet tried running emacs with # emacs -u
brownh, however.

Haines Brown