The basic idea of the swap partition being double the
size of ram is that when your system has a crash it is
still capable of writing a core dump to the harddisk.
I think not many people really require that for a home
system or a system that is not critical.I know some
people who run happily without a swap at all.
As long as you don't expect that your programs will
use more memory thant they used to before you upgraded
your memory and you don't run a critical system just
leave the swap at what it is.
If you still want to change your swap partition, you
can make a new swap partition with eg fdisk and change
the entry for swap in /etc/fstab.

James Niland

http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs