At 08:08 PM 12/7/02 +0000, Rolf Edlund wrote:
Originally to: Jerry James Haumberger

 JH> The question remains:  How can I back up -- with tar or any other
 JH> Slackware 3.5 program -- my 9 MBs of files from the BasicLinux
 JH> console with multiple floppies?  And in compressed format?

One of these commands..

 # man tar
 # info tar
 # tar --help

..will give you all information you need about your tar version.
"all" information? Hardly. Neither "man tar" nor "tar --help" gave *me* enough information to be able to answer his original question (though it did point me to the -M option, which I suggested trying), and my system (like many; it really has not caught on, despite pressure from the FSF crowd) does not even have the "info" system installed. (Does BasicLinux install it?)

FSF does have a tar tutorial available online (http://www.gnu.org/manual/tar-1.12/html_chapter/tar_toc.html), but even it doesn not answer the original question very clearly.

So this was almost a textbook example of a good question for this list ... one that needs more than RTFM answers, but a response (which it eventually elicited) from someone who could provide an example of how to do it.