Joseph D. Wagner wrote:

I'm trying to write a tracer on memory allocation, and I'm having a little
trouble figuring this out.

At some point, malloc has to call the kernel to tell it to allocate more
memory for this user process, right? I can't figure out which function
malloc calls, or where in the code (line number) it's called.

I'm looking at glib-2.3.1 to try and find my answers. After all, that's
where malloc is defined, right?

TIA.

Joseph Wagner

I don't have the answer. But look at something that already does this.
electric-fence detects illegal memory access (great for debugging)
ccmalloc is also a memory debugging library. It detects memory leaks and stuff like that.

Maybe after you checked this out you can rather work on improving these library's or extending them to do exactly what you want rather than reinventing the weel :-)

Good luck
-Heinrich