Hi Richard,

> Then that means the card was detected and the module was loaded, have
you
> done what it says.????

I have made sure that the hardware works.  In fact, I dual-boot Windows 98
on the same machine and Windows never has any problems with the card,
including now.

> You may need to use dhcpcd with options to obtain a IP# from your isp.
> IE, hostname ??.

Do you mean that I have to set up a DHCP server on my machine and
configure it ... ?  I sure hope there's an easier way than that ... .

I'm beginning to think I've mixed up different kernel module dependencies.
The short story is I need help sorting out the modules for use with my two
kernels: 2.4.18-14 and 2.4.18-14custom.  The long story is: when I
originally installed RH8.0 and found it didn't already support my NIC, I
recompiled the kernel with

make xconfig; make dep; make modules; make modules_install; make bzImage

and tried to boot the new kernel.  Eventually I got it to boot, but it
failed to detect/insert a lot of modules, which seems strange in
retrospect because I think I actually specified only one loadable module;
all the others were built-in.  I recompiled again, with the same results.
A lot of error messages courtesy of depmod as it tries to find module
dependencies --- things like input.o, soundcore.o, etc.  I've recompiled
twice after that, with a slightly different command order:

make xconfig; make dep; make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install

But still I get the same module dependency problems during boot.  Help!

Yawar Amin