Above is returned by fdisk (more or less; I am at a different machine and can't remember exactly). Presumably, this is why trying to install Mandrake 9.0 failed repeatedly at the bootloader stage (with no way out of the installation program) and eventually trashed the partition table (now rebuilt).
Q1: Am I right?
Q2: Can I correct the situation? (With parted, e.g.)
Q3: Otherwise, how else can I install Mandrake without losing the quaint little Win98 system my girlfriend needs for work?
The present setup is:
first hd 2.4 G, one Win 98 partition, could be resized to 1 G to make room for Mandrake;
second hd 600M, probably for additional Win progs or storage.
Very many TIA,
Andrew