Hal:

As I understand it, this has something to do with the X Windows feature
known as "virtual resolution." X Windows can, apparently, make a monitor
function at a higher resolution than it's really capable of by making the
actual display actually cover only part of the visible display. In such
cases, things that appear within the actual display are sometimes cut off
at the edges. When the virtual resolution is set up correctly, then dragging
the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen causes the screen to shift in that
direction, making what was cut off at that edge visible (while at the same
time cutting things off at the opposite edge). Though I've had such a
setup working on one of my machines previously, I can't say that I really
understand how it's done. In that case, the setup was automatically
generated by the distro I had installed (Vectorlinux). In other instances,
I have had things get cut off the edge of the screen, but dragging the
cursor to the offending edge didn't cause any screen scrolling. Anyway, I like
this feature of "virtual resolution", and would like to understand better
how it works and how to tweak/set it up. Maybe someone here can help
explain and illumine our darkness on the issue.

Apologies for anything in the foregoing that is grossly distorted,
misinformed or just plain stupid. I didn't get my degree in this stuff. I
just try to figure it out as it causes me problems.

James