Peter -- What you describe is not a problem particular to Red Hat. It can affect any attempt to install non-distro-packaged source-code programs into any distribution. In a way, it represents bad programming of the configure script ... configure's *job* is to find where the things it needs are located on a specific system, and looking for needed #include files in both /usr/include and /usr/local/include seems to me to be a natural thing to cover.

Blurriness in the specification for "standard" locations of files is to blame for configure having to answer this particular multiple-choice question ... the *same* program (or, in this case, header files) might be *part* of a distribution, thus properly located in /usr/include . Or they may be add-ins done on the user end, in which case they properly go in /usr/local/include . Very messy, really.

As to your actual, practical question ... I would leave everything in /usr/include . If RH puts those header files there, then at least src-rpm packages will look there for them. I'd *probably* then symlink /usr/local/include to /usr/include, then mv the files you put "somewhere else" in /usr/include (after checking to make sure you won't be overwriting anything ... if you are, those problems need to be examined on a case-by-case basis).

As a general matter, every distro does some repackaging of things, and sometimes it is in ways that upstream developers don't like. Since (the so-called filesystem "standards" notwithstanding) the dirstos vary in their file placement in many detailed ways, no upatream .tgz source package can conceivably be consistent with all the approaches. In practice, they match whatever system of organiztion the upstream developer prefers, and it's the job of the distro-level package maintainer to make things consistent (at least it is in Debian, and I think it is for the commcercial distros as well).