At 05:49 PM 3/11/2003 +0800, Eng Se-Hsieng wrote:
Hi,

I installed a custom installation of Redhat 7.3 and would like to get
the simplest ftp server running.

ftp localhost gives me "ftp: connect: Connection refused"

I would like to use the basic linux-ftpd-0.17 but typing "ftpd" doesn't
help. Please tell me how I may use the basic ftpd command and not
wu-ftpd, proftpd or others.

I'm not familiar with the package "linux-ftpd-0.17", but I infer from your question that it includes an ftp daemon that runs under the name "ftpd". (But this implied assumption on your part may be your problem. I just looked up the Debian version of the package, and it installs the daemon under the name in.ftpd.) The "Connection refused" message does mean that nothing (neither any ftpd daemon nor inetd) is listening on port 21.

We can't realistically provide here a tutorial that addresses all of the many things you *may* be doing incorrectly -- instead, you need to describe the steps you followed when installing the package so someone here can spot the mistake.

So, please tell us ...

1. How you installed the RPM of "linux-ftpd-0.17". Afterwards, what does "which ftpd" (run as root) return?

2. What DOES happen when you "type" ftpd (I assume you mean by "type" that you run it, as root, from the command line). "doesn't help" is not a description I (or anyone, really) can troubleshoot. Afterwards, is ftpd running ("ps ax |grep ftpd")? Is it, or anything, listening on port 21 ("netstat -l |grep ftp")?

3. Whether you are running inetd; if you are, what entry is in /etc/inetd.conf for ftp?

4. Whether there is anything in /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny relevant to connections from localhost.