Hi, Hal:

 If you are going to receive suggestions from me,
we need to keep this discussion 'on the list'.
I prefer to respond here, on the linux-newbie list,
where others can spot my mistakes and correct them
before they harm others.  :-|

 There seems to me to be several separate topics
that you mention.  At this time I am willing to
assist you in attempting to solve your installation
difficulties.  So, let us concentrate on installing
linux on this system.  I suggest that you start
separate messages for your other problems.

 So, you mention attempting a NFS install and
"I ran into problems".

 Please be more specific.

You mention attempting to install with the files
on "the Dos C: drive" and that this also
"ran into problems".

 Please be more specific.

'something like "fd2"' is not descriptive enough.

 Comments on other items follow...

Hal MacArgle wrote:

> Greetings OM and thanks for your input..
>
> The problem has escalated into more than the CD drive it seems.. More
> or less giving up on the drive I did an install using NFS and also
> from the copied files to the Dos C: drive.. I ran into problems with
> both - something I've never had happen before, especially NFS which
> always works fine..
>
> One thing that really bugs me is that the screen report says
> something like "fd2", where I think it should report the correct
> partition: /dev/hda2.. Maybe that's something that ramdisk does and
> I've never noticed it before..
>
> During the many tries I even found a distribution of Slack3.5 that
> has the CD selection of the Sanyo Drive and ISPSound card driver..
> Even that didn't fly.. Setup couldn't find the drive.. It's confusing
> because that drive can't make up it's mind whether it's /dev/sjcd or
> /dev/isp16.. The bootdisk 'isp16.i' finds the drive and port OK but
> after that everything goes down hill.. The bootdisk 'sanyo.i' doesn't
> find the drive at all. Very confusing.
>
> I found some excellent Docs pertaining to this exclusively but they
> may be out of date for the newer versions.. No joy in any case.. I
> find most of my Linux books including 'Running Linux' have mis-
> information - unless the bottom line is only ME... HI..
>
> BTW - to digress, about NFS.. Have you ever experienced _not_ being
> able to umount a device after using it with NFS?

 Yes. When I have a console whose 'current working directory'
 is on the mounted drive.

>                                                  Specifically, in my
> case, a Zip drive..

 No, I have never used a 'zip' drive.

>                     Usually 'exportfs -a' should "un busy" the drive
> so I can umount it - but, lately, I have to reboot the machine to
> umount the drive.. (I'm presuming you use the /etc/exports file to
> set up NFS..) No big deal but I'm sure curious, and I seem to
> remember it working "last week," whatever.. Maybe I need a brain
> transplant..

 From the man page of exportfs on my firewall
exportfs -a
 seems to either update the export table (/var/lib/nfs/xtab)
 or toggle the existence of available file systems.
 :-|
 Neither of these statements found in my man pages seem to suggest
 that 'export -a' will 'umount' anything.  :-|

HTH, Chuck

> Thanks again and vy 73,
>
> Hal - W8MCH.

<snipped to end>