At 06:35 PM 4/3/2003 +0600, Amin wrote:
Hi all,

Shortly after recompiling my kernel (ignoring numerous
warnings and errors therein), I tried to mount my CD drive
in the normal way:

It is normal to get manay, many **warnings** while compiling a kernel. But if you got **errors**, you better go back and look at them. (Personally, I doubt you really did get errors, since they are supposed to cause the compile process to abort ... you cannot, in practice, "ignore" actual errors. But since I can't see through your eyes, I have only what you wrote to go on.)

mount /mnt/cdrom

But I'm getting a ``mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block
device''.  Does anyone have any idea why this is appearing?

The most likely cause is that you omitted some kernel driver needed to access the device when you recompiled your kernel.

Next most likely is that you compiled what you needed as a module, but the module is not loading. Check either /etc/modules or /etc/modules.conf (or maybe /etc/conf.modules ... distros vary a bit here) to see that you are loading everything you need to.

Next is that there is something wrong with the /dev/cdrom symlink. What does it point to, and is that the right real device? (BTW, I am assuming there is a CD with an iso9660 filesystem in the drive when you try to mount.)

Last (and least likely) is a problem in /etc/fstab. What does the line for /mnt/cdrom look like?

It is also possible that you missed some step in the process of configuring, compiling, and installing the kernel. Since your prior message indicated that you successfully installed the NIC module, I'm classing this as a remote possibility.

Like Richard, I cannot be more specific without knowing:

A. What sort of CD-ROM drive is involved (ATAPI, SCSCI, one of the ones that requires a special driver).

B. Where is it really mounted (not just a symlink).

C. What kernel options you selected relevant to whatever sort of drive it is. (For example, if it is an ATAPI drive, did you select "ide-cd" support when configuring the kernel?)

D. The basics: what distro, what version, and what kernel version.