I have managed to get linux 9.1 running on my Compaq 4000 (Pentium MMX) machine. After a bit of a struggle I got it to recognize the linux-compatible U.S. Robotics modem and assign it to ttyS4. Through the Mandrake Control Center (MDC) I used DrakConnect to set up the internet connection through the modem. I can now connect to the internet, but only by logging in as root and using DrakConnect.

When I open the browser (Konquerer) and request a non-local URL, it doesn't automatically fire up the dialer and activate the modem. I don't seem to find a program in the start applications menu or an icon for a dialer.

I was first inspired to try Linux when a non-profit organization with which I am associated was given several of these machines -- with no software. I thought this the perfect application (excuse to experiment?) for Linux. Of course, they needed bigger hard drives, more memory, the video cards were incompatible, the sound cards unrecognized......... I, an engineer who has put together and updated several DOS/Windows machines, but who is not a computer or software engineer, thought I would be able to muddle through. -- and I have, but after having taken a couple of Linux classes, purchased bits and pieces of hardware, purchased different distributions of Linux (I do believe that we users should support the community that provides the software), and spent numerous hours chasing a solution, I think I would have been money ahead to buy the several new Windows machines for the organization!

But I don't want to do that. I want to get these machines running and set a precedent for using Linux -- with its lower cost of ownership!

So...... Can anyone help me solve this immediate problem?