Hi Ray.

 > Now 500 x 10 = 5000 usec, or 1/200 seconds. But the loop
 > actually takes 10 seconds to iterate. This implies that
 > usleep() has a minimum delay of 10/500 seconds, or 20
 > msec, built into it (at least on my test system).

The standard PC BIOS sets up the hardware timer with a tick
interval of 18.2 ms which is probably what you are seeing.
Memory says that the reason for this is that there are 2^16
(65,536) such ticks per hour, and that apparently made the
original IBM PC BIOS somewhat simpler as a result.

Best wishes from Riley.
---
 * Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown.

---