For _following_ symlink, permissions of symlink are not checked
(at least not checked 'traditiomally' on unix -- I do not know about Linux.)

On some systems for reading value of symlink if symlink is on NFS server,
permissions of symlink are checked.

I actually do not know is permissions of symlink checked (on various OSes)
if sysmlink value is readed.

/ Kari Hurtta