> It says only "Sorry"

NO it does not, it says, "Authentication failure" and then sorry.

I can assure you, sir, in spite of your block capitals, that it said just "Sorry". Which also surprised me, I may say, and attracted Mr Oswelski's attention too. I thought at the time it was a touch curt by Linux standards. But, as I say, I reinstalled shadow and it is now back to normal. So let us let bygones be bygones as I have no intention of reproducing the error to prove what I say.
Thanks for taking the trouble to write.
Andrew