James Miller wrote:
I will use it most of the time at home, where I have static network addressing. The card works, and the machine is successfully on my network now. When I need to take it away from home, though, different network settings will need to be used - almost surely DHCP will be in use where I'll use it away from home.

But, the question remains: how to handle those times when I am away from home and may need to make the card connect to a DHCP network? What I found relevant to this in the PCMCIA how to is something called "schemes" that enable one to have alternate network settings for the PCMCIA card.

Rather than trying to change the network configuration manually between your home/static and elsewhere/DHCP environments, I recommend you simply always use DHCP for the laptop. Using DHCP at home does *not* mean you must use DHCP to assign network information to all your home systems, though you probably can if you like. You can reserve part of your IP addresses for static systems and part for dynamic/DHCP systems.

In particular, servers should have static addresses so they don't move around, but desktop/workstation/portable systems can usually be dynamic without any difficulties. In fact, due to the auto-configuring aspect of DHCP clients and the ability thereby to prevent duplicate IP addresses, it makes a lot of sense to me to use DHCP for *all* systems that don't *require* static addresses, (i.e. servers).

So you "simply" ;) configure a DHCP server on some local system at home (Mine is built into the DSL router I use.) and then leave the laptop enabled for DHCP all the time. When home, it gets all the network config from the home network just like it does when away from home.

--
Jeff Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>