At 07:15 PM 8/30/2003 +0200, geoff bagley wrote:
>When SuSE "recognizes" it, what does it then "auto-configure" it *as*? SuSE
>will be writing an XF86Config-4 file that describes the configuration ...
>and, just possibly, setting up some kernel modules (a framebuffer, maybe)
>... and you should be able to use its results to guide you in setting up Woody.

Thank you for the tip. I will re-install SuSE and check that out.

>BTW, selections like vesa choose video cards, not displays. What video card
>(or chipset, if this is a laptop) are you using?

No, it is not a laptop - it is a stand alone 17" TFT panel display.
It plugs into a parallel port just like a normal monitor.

I assume you mean a VGA port.

I will have a look at what the video card is and select that.
Maybe that is the answer.

It should be at least part of the answer. I believe TFT displays do have some special requirements that can affect Modeline entries, but I don't know the details. As you might imagine, they are most discussed in the context of laptops, where dealing with the quirks of LCD displays has been a requirement for years.