At 20:02 09/09/2003 -0500, Chip Hearn wrote:
>Originally to: Carl
>
>  Re: Installing same o/s across different hardware
>  By: Carl to All on Tue Sep 09 2003 06:15 pm
>
> > /etc/modules.conf has aliases for the megaraid.o and aic79xx.o modules that
> > not required for this
> > system but just commenting them out does nothing.
> > Anybody know what is required to stop the kernel looking for these devices a
> > hence get rid of the errors ?
>
>It sounds like you built the kernel with the megaraid and aic79xx built in...
>so, removing the "Modules" won't remove it trying to detect them.  The only way
>to get rid of these would be to rebuild the kernel... But.. Lemme tell you
>this... the error your getting above... is nothing... it just can't find the
>device and it moves on... Its not really an error... Does your system operate
>correctly, are their other problems?  My suggestion to you... weight the factor
>of rebuilding the kernel, possibly missing something else, like the mouse, or
>somesuch.. having to rebuild it again... etc..   or ignoring those missing
>devices... its not hurting anything... :)
>
> > Namely an adaptec message that i can't catch as it is too quick and the
> > following
> > which i can get from /var/log/boot.log:
>
>I have a bit of information... to be able to see what the message is.. you can
>use dmesg | more  the entire boot up process is stored, and you can view it any
>time you like.  :)
>
>hope that helps.
No operational problems with the machine as far as i can tell.

Already checked dmesg and found nothing.

Neither the megaraid or adaptec modules are built in to the kernel.

Taken from my kernel .config:

CONFIG_SCSI_AIC79XX=m
CONFIG_AIC79XX_CMDS_PER_DEVICE=253
CONFIG_AIC79XX_RESET_DELAY_MS=15000

and

CONFIG_SCSI_MEGARAID=m

Could it be initrd doing it ? It was built with the hardware in place.

--
Carl