I think part of the problem here might be conceptual.

If I understand what you want, you'd like, on a signal, for your program to
go into the background (still running but no longer blocking the terminal
input/output). On another signal you would like the program to come back to
the foreground.

If this is the case, the problem you're facing is that the program being in
the foreground and the background is actually part of the shell, not a
property of the program running.  Most Shells provide a way to switch
programs from the foreground to the background and back.
BASH for example I could type

$>./myprogram
(cntr + Z) //suspends the current program and prings the prompt back
$>bg  (runs the program in the background)

The only way that I know of to force a program to run in the background in
the code is to make it a daemon which is done by forking twice

int main(  ) {
   if(fork()==0)  {
            if( fork() == 0 )  {
                    program code starts here