I have a HP lj1100 laserjet printer.  It works correctly on SuSE 8.0,
but on Debian Woody I still haven't sorted out the linefeed/cret
correctly.  I am getting the famous staircase effect.

SuSE 8.0 uses (BSD ?) lpr with a few bits of ghostscript invoked by
printcap.

Before I try copying extracts from the one into the other, am I
going about it the right way, or did I miss something ?

I prefer lpr to the other spooling systems because there are more
references to it in my various books.  However, this printer seems to be
too modern for them.

I am not sure whether such things as ghostscript and foomatic should be
used.

I have been reading many accounts of the various available systems for
mail spoolers, but the variety available is confusing.

I would prefer to use Debian, if I can, because of the synaptic and
apt-get  for sorting out dependencies.  I need to know what things to
chose out of the numerous competing options.

Regards
--
Geoff Bagley