Ithought I mentioned that apt installed debian's "mozilla 1.5-3". That's
what the "about" entry in the help menu of the browser reports. I gree
that the /etc/ file points to alternatives, as the name suggests. In my
case it points to  /usr/bin/mozilla-1.5 .

Rather puzzling, then, that it doesn't launch mozilla, wouldn't you say?
Incidentally, that's where the menu link points as well.

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 10:30, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> I don't use Mozilla here so can't help you with most of what you ask about.
> I can clear up one bit of confusion, though.
>
> At 09:43 AM 12/16/2003 +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:
> [...]
> >Can anyone explain what might have happened? BTW, "which mozilla"
> >returns /usr/bin/mozilla, and checking "ls -al /usr/bin/mozilla" shows
> >that it is a link to "/etc/alternatives/mozilla".
> >"/usr/bin/MozillaFirebird" is not a link; it appears to be the
> >executable binary, or the launch script for it.
> >
> >I'm cautious about altering the link for /usr/bin/mozilla, as I assume
> >it is a way for Debian to find the binary... but then the link doesn't
> >do what it's designed to do!
>
> Are you sure? /etc/alternatives/mozilla will itself be a link to something,
> to whatever real app is supposed to be running as "mozilla". This is a
> standard bit of Debianish stuff ... if you look in /etc/alternatives, you
> should find you have links for any number of apps that come in many
> versions, including such basics (on my system, anyway) as vi,  editor, awk,
> and telnet. You need to see what the /etc/alternatives/mozilla symlink
> points to in order to figure out what is going on with your system. It
> might well point back to "/usr/bin/MozillaFirebird", for example.
>
> As to your general problems ... please do recall that Sid is currently the
> Unstable version of Debian. It gets weird from time to time, though the
> weirdness is usually transitory ("dpkg-reconfigure" is one good response to
> this; so is waiting an hour and doing an apt-get update/upgrade).
>
> Also, Sid changes often enough that saying you installed the "latest" of
> anything is no help ... you really should report a package version,

please look in my original post and above