What type of video card do you have? If you have a nvidia card & use nvidia's drivers, you will need to reinstall the driver module after compiling a new kernel version. Also, is it just gnome that won't start, or X? In the case I'm describing, X won't start at all.

If you do have a nvidia card, and want to install their drivers, note that nvidia has not yet released a 2.6 compatible driver. However, the website <http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html> has unofficial patches for use with 2.6 kernels. I've been using them since 2.6.0-test9 without any problem. Also, now that 2.6.0 has been officially released, nvidia should be releasing a compatible driver soon (I would guess).

HTH,
Conway S. Smith

Flemming Greve Skovengaard wrote:
Hi all.

I just changed to kernel 2.6.0 from kernel 2.4.22 and now Gnome won't start. All
I get is the splash screen and nothing else happens. I had the same problem when
I changed from 2.2 to 2.4. Back then I "solved" the problem by re-installing.

Is there anyone who knows, or have an idea about, what the problem is?