On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 04:22, Beolach wrote:
> Lars Bungum wrote:

> >>You don't say which distro or kernel you are using, which may help.
> >>For what it is worth I had this problem a while ago. My Redhat box died and the
> >>only CD I had was debian. The new debian box (kernel2.4.18) would not power down
> >>automatically. I just loaded the apm module and things then worked as expected.
> >

> > John,
> >
> > my system is based on RH9, with the kde-redhat project inside using
> > apt-rpm.  However as shutting the machine off works with the exact same
> > configuration only booting a different kernel (the 2.4.18 shipped with
> > RH) I suspect some option/module must be set in the kernel to get this
> > working.  The "apm" module is loaded, and the "apmd" daemon from the
> > RedHat system is started and runs without error.
> >
> > My problem is that I don't really know what is supposed to make this
> > particular feature work.  Is it apm?  When I read the docs about
> > APM/ACPI it seemd all to be about battieries and other laptop-related
> > matters, and my machine is just a standing desktop.  So what software is
> > it that is supposed to make this work?
> >
> > --lars
> >

> APM = Advanced Power Managment
> ACPI = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
>
> It would be one of these options that would handle shutting down the
> power on your computer, most likely APM if you have an older BIOS.  It
> does also take care of batteries on laptops, but it is Power Managment
> in general, not just batteries that it handles.
>
> As to fixing your problem, you did say the APM module is loaded & apmd
> is running without errors, so my best guess is that your APM module is
> missing some option required for it to work right on your machine.  Look
> through your kernel config and check a couple options that you think
> might have to do with this, such as "CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF":
>
>       Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off
>
>       Use real mode APM BIOS calls to switch off the computer. This is
>
>       a work-around for a number of buggy BIOSes. Switch this option
>       on if your computer crashes instead of powering off properly.

Con,

thanks a bunch for your illuminating clarifications.  When I altered
some options under APM, it worked.  (My BIOS was too old for ACPI).  As
I enabled more functions, I can't really know what the trick was, but I
suspect that it actually was compiling apm directly into the kernel
instead of loading it as a module.  The
"CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF": was enabled all the time.

BTW: Another "strange" thing I saw, is that my isapnp Soundblaster
stopped working when I compiled a kernel with pnp BIOS.  Something to
try if this is a problem, I guess.

--lars