I've set up a basic firewall using iptables.  It allows connections from
a block of ip addresses to port 22, and allows connection back from
established,related.  Then everything else gets dropped.  Out of
curriousity mostly, I wanted to log everything that gets dropped, but
iptables logs an overwhelming amount of information.  All I really want
is src ip, des ip, and if its tcp/udp , des port.  I read virtually the
entire man page for iptables and took for other sources, but I can't
figure out any way to limit what is actually logged.  It did mention the
ability to log to user space via netlink socket, using the ULOG option,
but I had no idea what netlink was.  All this is leading to: Does anyone
know any way short of editing the source code to either change the
output format of the information sent to system logger, or perhaps how I
could use 'netlink socket' to extract the information I want and log it
to some other file.

Thanks
John