Thanks for your response, Ray. I am still not particularly clear about the
/boot partition -- what exactly is it used for? I did have an older BIOS
on this hard-drive a while ago, and needed the /boot partition then to
dual boot.  Now, if my BIOS can "see" all of /dev/hdb then its not
necessary for this partition to exist?

I would probably use GRUB as the bootloader -- isn't it likely that GRUB
will be able to figure out how to modify my MBR on /dev/hda so that I
could boot windows from /dev/hda and Linux from /dev/hdb? Whats a good way
to save the MBR and the partition-info (and restore, if need be)?

I would like to follow your advice in switching the drives around and
reinstalling both windows and Linux -- but, all I have for the windows
"install" CD is a custom HP-disk which is quite useless now, since I
don't have the HP-system anymore :-? Moreover, there are way too many
things installed under the m$oft-OS, that I don't wish to go through
trying to reinstall.

-K