Thanks Ray, you are a genius.

First I moved the /usr/local/qt out of the way, then I copied libqt.so.2.3.1
from RedHat over to /lib in slackware made the symbolic link libqt.so.2 to it
and gutenbrowser came to live fast. Slackware has the latest qt library in in
/usr/lib/qt.....

How do these programs decide where to look for a library?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>  you are going to have to say more than "I made a new  installation" for me
> to understand what you did.

Well if I have a .tar.gz program file I do tar xzvf file.tar.gz in usually
/usr/local and then follow the install instructions which in the case of
gutenbrowser are different from the normal routine. It uses tmake. Is this
procedure not called installation or is there another more professional speak?

Regards

--
Peter