At 05:29 PM 3/9/2004 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have tried putting the nics on the same network, with the same results...

the ping -I command works fine, but what about when I open a socket and do
UDP/TCP transfers?

What about it?

Your entire prior question was focused around the result of ping and its diagnostics. So I gave you an answer for pinging, one that (apparently) works there ... or were you saying you already knew that answer but didn't mention it?

As the ping answer illustrates, the solution here is an application-level solution. If you want help, describe your problem in more detail. How are you opening a socket, for example?

Putting the two NICs on the same network is not a general solution to your problem, nor did I offer it as one. It is the simple solution to making sure each of the two interfaces has a route to the other ... your fiddling with the routing table, if done correctly, would serve the same purpose, a bit more awkwardly.

If you don't want to, or can't, go into details on a public list, or even privately with someone who will not accept any proprietary information from you ... then look at the source code for ping, see how it implements the -I flag, and do the same thing in whatever setting you are working.

Oh yes ... I give free advice only in the context of public lists like linux-newbie, so I'm cc'ing the list.