pa3gcu wrote:

I dont want to sound like a wet blanket, however i have a machine here running a 2.6 kernel, be aware there are issues with the nvidia video drivers, or at least i have some.

I too had some problems in the beginning, but I believe APIC support on uniprocessor systems breaks the driver...
try disabling it and see if there is any difference coz after I did the same, X has never hung on me ( it used to do so very often before)
and thats atleast a month or two