Sorry for the duplicate postings (if it does get duplicated) -- my first
message was not posted even after ~10 hrs.

----------

Along the process of trying to recompile a personalized kernel for this
machine (following my previous posts and responses), I seem to be unable
to run any X-based programs as root from within an X-session started as a
regular user (karthik). I.e. I log in as karthik -> startx, open an xterm,
and su - root. Once there, any attempt to run an X based program gives an
error, for e.g.:

# gandalf:~# whoami; gw
root

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I am guessing this is some sort of security measure?

How can I circumvent this? What are good places to gain some basic
understanding of X and related security concerns etc.

Thanks,

-K